Applicants are requested to apply online through the NanoNet application portal.
Applications sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
Before starting your application, please confirm that you are eligible to apply and read the below sections carefully.
- Please register at the NanoNet application portal.
- Upon successful registration you will receive a confirmation link via e-mail. This link will enable you to access your personal online application form. We recommend that you add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list to avoid that the confirmation e-mail is marked as spam.
- Please fill in the application form. All mandatory fields are marked.
- Upload all required documents.
- After submission you will no longer be able to edit your application.
- We will inform you within 2-4 weeks of the application deadline if you are invited for an interview in Dresden. Please note that you also may be contacted beforehand for a phone or video interview.
When accessing the application form, you will be asked to fill in the following information:
1. Personal information and contact details
Please make sure you introduce valid e-mail and phone contacts so that we can contact you.
Provide information concerning your highest academic degree only (additional information will be extracted from your curriculum vitae). In case you are still studying (i.e. about to earn your MSc), then indicate the date you expect to obtain your degree. Please indicate also your expected grade (this must be supported by a provisional certificate from your University, see the list of documents needed).
3. Relevant professional experience
Provide information on any relevant employment (e.g. working as a research assistant), including the contact details of your supervisor.
4. Language skills
Since the official language of the NanoNet program is English, we ask you to provide information on your English language skills. In case you are not an English native speaker, you will need to provide an English language certificate (see the list of documents needed).
Choose from the topics given your 3 favorite ones. Select them according to your preference. The acronyms of the topics you can find in the detailed description of the PhD project(s).
Explain the motivation of your application and describe your scientific interests (max. 200 words). Be as specific as possible about the topics that are of interest to you.
Provide the name, affiliation and contact details of two references. We reserve the right to contact the references should we need more information.
8. Document upload
Upload all necessary documentation needed.
Before starting your application, please make sure you have all needed documentation ready.
IMPORTANT: all documents should preferentially have PDF format and be no larger than 5 MB.
- Motivation letter
- Your curriculum vitae (in tabular form)
Include any relevant courses or training you may have done also outside the University (e.g. internships) and any awards and publications you may have.
- Scanned University certificates
In case you are still studying, you should obtain a provisional certificate from your University stating the examination marks already obtained. Note that if you are still studying you are only eligible to apply if you anticipate receiving your degree no later than 6 months after the date of the interview.
- Transcripts of marks (i.e. the official list of coursework including your grades).
- Two recommendation letters
- English language certificate if English is not your mother tongue
If you have attended a University or College where English is the language of instruction, then it is enough to provide a certificate attesting that English is the official language of the courses taught at the University.
If English is not the official language at your University, you must provide a language certificate at least on the level B2/C1, e.g.:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL(IBT) (94)
- Cambridge English FCE (B), CAE (52), or CPE (45)
- Test of English for International Communication TOEIC (850)
- International English Language Testing System IELTS (6.0)
- Telc Test English Technical B2
- UniCERT III
At the moment there are no scholarships available.
Incomplete applications will be disregarded, so be sure that you submit your application before the deadline.
Post-deadline applications will not be accepted.
Should you encounter any problems or have any questions during your application, please contact the IHRS NanoNet coordinator (email@example.com).