Application for beam time at the Ion Beam Center (IBC)
Since 2015, scientists can apply for beam time at the IBC anytime. Following a successful evaluation of a beam time proposal by an external international User Selection Panel, access to the experimental facilities of the ion beam center is provided free of charge. Application for beam time is done via the HZDR GATE platform.
To apply for beam time, please proceed as follows:
- Register as an user at HZDR GATE. You will receive a welcome email asking to finalize registration. Registration has to be finished within 24 h after email receipt.
- Read the IBC proposal guidelines carefully to choose the project type suited for your research project.
- For each beam time application you have to submit two PDF documents. Please use provided templates.
- Scientific case: In this document you have to describe the scientific questions, which you would like to investigate during the requested beam time at the IBC. Please make sure that you give a clear and straightforward information about the experiment to enable evaluation and to convince the referees. Note the two side page limit.
- Experimental plan: Please describe details of planned experiments in this document. Note the one side page limit.
- Login into HZDR GATE and start you application via "My proposals" → "Submit a new proposal".
- Complete the forms with respect to proposer, co-proposer, techniqual requirements and previous results, and finalize the application.
- You can interrupt the application anytime. This will create a proposal draft which you can complete later on.
- If you need scientific support for the proposal submission, please do not hesistate to contact the local support.
- Successful application submission is confirmed online immediately and via email.
- You can use HZDR GATE to check the current status of your application.
The GATE platform has been adapted from the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin to the needs of the user facilities IBC, ELBE, HLD an DRACO at the HZDR. Some functionalities are not yet fully implemented for the HZDR. Please use the handbook and the request support functionality integrated in the HZDR GATE platform.
If you have further questions, Annette Weissig will help you whenever necessary.