How to get AMS data from DREAMS for external users
External users can get accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) data of their samples for free on a basis of a proposal procedure. The scientific quality of the proposals is evaluated and ranked by an external international User Selection Panel.
Basics steps are:
1. Register at the HZDR GATE platform
- Create an Account (Username, Password - min. 6 characters, case sensitive)
- Type in Personal information (Email, Title, Family name, Given name, Birthday, Citizenship, Gender)
- Preferred User Office: IBC (IBC: Ion Beam Center)
- Select your scientific preference(s): up to 3 out of Chemistry, Earth Sciences & Environment, Energy, Engineering & technology, Humanities, ICT, Life Sciences & Biotech, Material Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Social Sciences
- Type in your Affiliation (Organisation/Institute, Department, City, Country,…)
- Decide if you want to receive further Information/Newsletters
- Confirm that you have read the data security issues and terms and conditions for user access
- Wait for the confirmation email
- Scientific Case and Experimental Plan using templates. Further information can be found at “Templates for Proposal Description”
Select the template (Word file) for the Scientific Case according to the type of your project:
Select the “Accelerator mass spectrometry template” for the preparation of your Experimental Plan, which can be found here.
Both documents need to be converted into pdf-files (max. size 1 MB each) for proposal submission.
3. Login as User and Submit a new proposal
- Type in Title and Abstract (copy of the relevant parts of the proposal, no need to rewrite it) of max. 1000 characters
- Select Proposal type: Standard
- Select Scientific College: IBC User Selection Panel for the Ion Beam Center
- Select your Main research area: 1 out of Chemistry, Earth Sciences & Environment, Energy, Engineering & technology, Humanities, ICT, Life Sciences & Biotech, Material Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Social Sciences
- Select 1 Scientific Category out of:
- Funding is not possible for AMS/IBC
- Upload “Scientific Case” document as pdf (max. 2 pages, 1 MB)
- Add potential Co-proposer, e.g. Silke Merchel and/or Georg Rugel
- Input technical requirement such as
- Select Beamline accelerator mass spectrometry
- Select Preferred local contact e.g. Merchel, Silke
- the Requested beamtime (1 nuclide in 1 sample ~ 1 h; plus every 7 samples 1 standard and 1 blank, 1 h each) is calculated automatically by the experimental plan. Example: 10Be in 6 samples: 6 h + 1 h + 1 h = 8 h = 1 shift.
- Leave Preferred dates open or contact us.
- Upload “Experimental Case” document as pdf (max. 2 pages, 1 MB)
- Select Spokes person for the proposal
- Select Collaborating partner from HZDR, e.g. Silke Merchel
- Select Type of project (Pilot or Standard)
- Give information about relation of proposal to PhD thesis and reviewed research grant
- Select if project is a new proposal, an extension, …(please contact us if you are not sure)
- Give information on any Hazards
- Give information if your samples are radioactive, ...(please contact the radiation safety officers (email@example.com) if you are not sure)
- Press several times “Next step” and do not forget to press “Submit”
- Wait for evaluation results
- Put yourself as "Responsible Experimentalist" and NOT one of us
- Is there a proposal deadline?
- How long does the evaluation of the proposal take?
- Days to weeks.
- Can all nuclides being measured the same time?
- No, we measure one nuclide after the other. But we use DREAMS for usually a full week for a single nuclide (e.g. 10Be). In a second week, we use DREAMS for another nuclide (e.g. 26Al). Thus, it can happen that you will receive first resulst of all of your samples for a single nuclide only and then have to wait for a few weeks for the other nuclides.
Contact us to discuss about the length and the timing of your stay. There is no need for a special chemistry/safety knowledge or training BEFORE arrival.
Get www-access via Eduroam at your home institute before you come.
Book the guest house for sample preparation and AMS measurements (also during night-shifts) on your own costs - guest house request form. Your HZDR-contact is Silke Merchel. The infrastructure is DREAMS @ IBC.
Alternative accommodation are available at Dresden city centre, but are not much recommended due to exceptional working hours.
Read papers from www.dresden-ams.de for AMS measurements (Merchel et al., GIT, 2012; Akhmadaliev et al., NIMB 2013; Rugel et al., NIMB 2016) and sample preparation (Merchel and Herpers, RCA 1999).
For reaching HZDR, which is about 10 km North-eastern from the city centre of Dresden, see “How to find us”. Important! If you come by bus, do NOT get off the bus at "Siedlung Rosssendorf". The bus stop is called "Rossendorf Forschungszentrum". Bus tickets (single ticket = Einzelfahrschein or ticket for four trips = 4er-Karte) can be purchased from the bus driver.
To enter the HZDR site you need a passport or any other document with a picture. You will get an access card for the length of your stay.
You will get a map indicating building 712, where our office (room 303, phone 2802) and the AMS (please, phone 2189 while AMS beam time) is. If you need first access to the accelerator building after 19 h, you have to phone 2189 or 3252 as the door of the building 712 might be closed.
If you have a laptop, please bring it to HZDR. It can be quite useful when working in the lab and/or while night-shifts.
There is no need to bring your own lab coat or safety goggles.
Our security staff is on duty 24/7, thus, you can arrive and pick-up your guest house key whenever you want, when you have a reservation. However, please be aware of scarcity of public transportation in the evening and on weekends.
We have a canteen on site, which is open Monday to Friday for break-fast and lunch (until 13:30 h). If you arrive late, there is only minimal food supply at the canteen from a vending machine.
The nearest shopping possibility is at Dresden-Weissig, which is four bus stops (~ 5.5 km) away from HZDR.
A cash machine is situated at the main entrance.