The International Office advises and supports visiting scientists and researchers, PhD students and postdocs from abroad as well as international users of our research facilities - together with their families - in organizing, preparing, and implementing their stay in Dresden.
We want to be your central contact point for any and all questions you may have regarding your stay at the HZDR.
Our services include:
- Assisting international guests with formalities that need to be completed upon arrival, including information about the current regulations on traveling to Germany
- Providing general information about procedures with public authorities
- Assistance in searching for a suitable accommodation
- Offering families support in finding a place in a daycare or school
- Organizing and providing information about suitable leisure and recreational activities
- Organizing the international Summer Student Program
- For detailed information, please see our welcome guide.
International Office, Building 240, Room 107
Phone: +49 351 260 2821
Good to know: Dr. Jörg Grenzer represents all international colleagues in our work commitee since summer 2019.
Coronavirus - General Information
Dresden Welcome Center and Immigration Office: Due to the precautions to protect the health of employees and visitors, it is only possible to visit these offices with an appointment. Spontaneous visits are not possible. Please write an e-Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment. Explain what you need and add the relevant documents in the attachment.
These regulations also apply to the citizens offices. Requests can only be made in the nearest citizens' office by appointment.
Please call the the respective office or the hotline 0351 488 - 6070.
Contact information - Welcome Center: 0351/488 6051 / email@example.com
In urgent cases you can contact the immigration office at the hotline 0351-488 6009.
(Mon./Wed./Fri. from 9:00 to 12:00 - Tue./Thu. from 8:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00)
Note: the current situation is dynamic. Please inform yourself about new regulations under the links given below.
Information about the current situation and the local ruling:
Arriving from a risk area: all people entering the country from a risk area have to register before starting the trip under: https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/
Quarantine regulations: here you find the current regulations, when arriving from a risk area.
Corona in Saxony: https://www.dresden.de/en/city/corona_en.php,
Legal notice in different languages:https://www.coronavirus.sachsen.de/amtliche-bekanntmachungen-uebersetzungen-5359.html#a-7399
Rules and recommendations on behavior: https://www.infektionsschutz.de/coronavirus/materialiendownloads/informationen-in-anderen-sprachen.html
Dealing with symptoms of colds in children: http://schule-sachsen.de/Englisch-Empfehlung-Krankheitsanzeichen.pdf
More information: https://www.euraxess.de/
Corona pandemic - New general ruling in Dresden:
This applies from 2 December 2020
Due to the increasing number of infections, the city of Dresden has issued a new general decree. It is valid until 28 December.
Restrictions on leaving the house:
You may not leave your own home without good reason. This includes among other things:
- To avoid danger to life, limb and property
- Way to work, day nursery, school, doctor
- Visiting spouses and life partners, the needy and sick, and persons with rights of care and access
- Marriages (with a maximum of 25 persons)
- Accompanying the dying and funerals (with a maximum of 25 people)
- Outdoor sports and exercise within a radius of 15 kilometers from the flat
- Visit of the own or leased allotment garden or plot of land
- Supply of animals
Duty to wear masks
- In designated areas of the down town
- In public transport (bus, train, taxi, ...)
- In work and business premises except at the immediate workplace, provided that the minimum distance of 1.5 meters can
be maintained there - NEW!
- In supermarkets and shops as well as on car parks in front of them
- In doctors' practices and clinics (except in the treatment room and for in-patients in their rooms)
- Visiting community and homeless shelters, prisons, homes, day-care centers
- Spaces open to the public with regular public access (e.g. shopping centers, banks, religious buildings)
- In front of and inside school buildings and on the school premises (exceptions: if the minimum distance is observed; primary school and after-school care; in lower secondary education [below incidence value 200]; when eating and drinking)
- When staying at bus stops and railway stations
- In pedestrian zones marked with appropriate traffic signs
- Areas dedicated to sport and games (exception for children under ten)
- At weekly markets and at external sales stands (6 to 24 hrs.)
- For movement without stopping with means of transport
- For children under six years
- During sports activities
Infringements are subject to a fine of up to 60 euros.
Family and friends (contact restrictions)
- Reduce contact with other people to the absolute minimum
- Keep a minimum distance of 1.5 meters from other people
- Private meetings in your own living environment with a maximum of five people from a maximum of two households. Children up to the age of 14 are not counted.
- Meetings in public space only with members of one's own household and a second household (maximum of five persons)
- Wearing a mouth and nose cover in public places
- Using the Corona Warning App
- Regular ventilation in closed rooms
- Renouncing to private trips and visits without good reason
From 23 December onwards, it is permitted to stay in public and in one's own living environment in the closest circle of family and friends with a total of ten people. Children up to the age of 14 are not counted.
Ban on alcohol
If the incidence value of 50 (according to RKI) is exceeded fro more than five days:
- No alcohol will be served in restaurants, retail outlets, petrol stations from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily
- No alcohol consumption in public places and in the open air in designated parts of the city every day from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
If the incidence value of 200 (according to RKI) is exceeded for more than five days:
- No sale of alcoholic hot drinks in the whole city.
- Only education and training institutions (of adult education) which provide vocational, school or academic education and training may open.
- Bus trips and overnight stay in a hotel are forbidden (expt. for work and medical reasons)
- Providers of pick-up services (food and drink) may only accept orders online or by telephone and must ensure a minimum distance between pick-up points.