Diversity at the HZDR - Diversity means wealth
For Diversity Day on 23.05.2023:
- LinkedIn Post of the HZDR
- MDR Sachsenradio - The great opportunity of small differences - why "diversity" should be more than just a buzzword [Statement by Scientific Director Prof. Sebastian M. Schmidt from Min 1:25:159]
Gaining knowledge and personal exchange have always been part of the HZDR's self-image: The focus is on our employees with their individual talents and personality. We attach great importance to knowing and taking into account their individual needs - regardless of position, age, skin colour, origin, gender or religion.
Diversity management - the power of diversity
The HZDR is a large-scale research institution with 1,500 employees from many nations around the world, making it one of the largest research institutions in eastern Germany. The HZDR is a role model for the region and a reflection of our society. We expressly welcome that!
A diverse HZDR is characterised by openness and appreciation for diversity across all hierarchical levels. We promote equal opportunities on all dimensions of diversity through proactive engagement up to a diverse management level. We see diversity as a potential and part of our DNA.
Facets of our commitment to diversity
For us, diversity means a commitment to our values and roots: to see ourselves as a community of individuals - and thus as a reflection of society. Therefore, it is natural for us to promote diversity, to treat each other with respect and not to discriminate against anyone on the basis of their origin or disability.
By signing the Diversity Charter, we clearly reject prejudice. We are committed to a working environment in which mutual appreciation and individual promotion are the rule. By signing the Diversity Charter in 2008, we made a voluntary commitment to respect diversity values and promote diversity.
Making work more flexible
Dynamism, change and diversity are part of everyday work and private life. We meet the specific requirements that arise from this with a framework that is as flexible as possible - also for the temporal organisation of work. Thus, the place, time and scope of work can be determined freely to a largely extent. What is nevertheless very important to us, despite all this freedom, is interaction and exchange with each other.
Our content on the topic of diversity
The topic of diversity is a constant preoccupation for us - we want to develop continuously.
Diversity encompasses many different topics and aspects. We want to engage in continuous exchange with our employees and strengthen and expand awareness of diversity issues. Starting with the topics of ethnic origin and nationality, through age and generational diversity, to gender, sexual orientation or the topic of disability.
The Diversity and Equal Opportunities working group is therefore working in various focus groups on the individual diversity-relevant topics (selection):
With our Women@HZDR offer, we bring female colleagues together in a network that offers close role models and contacts for exchange. In the community, we talk about topics that are sometimes neglected in the project or in the office.
Disabilities are not an exclusion criterion for careers at HZDR - on the contrary. We promote inclusion and participation and support severely disabled people with technical aids and special protection against dismissal for civil servants, among other things. The contact persons for this are the members of our Disabled Persons' Representative Council.
Diversity as a success factor
Our efforts help to provide our employees with a pleasant, productive and professional working environment. We see our diversity as a success factor. Mixed as well as intercultural teams often work together more successfully, smoothly and productively. We also promote the topic of age and generational diversity and consider the exchange of experience and knowledge as a high benefit for our entire organisation. This aspect is being expanded by coaching offers that are currently being planned and are available to everyone.
Your contact persons for diversity at the HZDR:
- Dr. Franziska Lederer (Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology/Biotechnology Division)
- Camille Toggenburger (Scientific Division/Department of Media and Communication)
- Dr. Frank Bok (Institute of Resource Ecology/Department of Actinide Thermodynamics, Disability Representative)
- Dr. Henry Moll (Institute of Resource Ecology/Biogeochemistry)
- Angela Sarafimovska (Trainee)
- Franziska Hübner (Commercial Division/Human Resources Department, Equal Opportunities Officer)
- Dr. Winnie Deuther-Conrad (Institute for Radiopharmaceutical Cancer Research/Neuroradiopharmaceuticals)
- Dr. Stephan Winnerl (Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research/Spectroscopy)
- Jörg Exner (Institute of Resource Ecology/Molecular Structures)
- Weronika Mazur (CASUS/Programme Planning and International Projects)
- Thomas Frühauf (Commercial Business Unit/Programme Manager Administration 4.0)