For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Stefan Schymura Tel.: +49 351 260 4678
Place of work:
22 March 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) in the fields of Geochemistry/Geophysics
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,100 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
The Institute of Resource Ecology of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (Department of Reactive Transport) in close cooperation with the Department of Environmental Sciences (Laboratory for Bioanalytics) of the Jožef Stefan Institute (JSI, Ljubljana, Slovenia) is looking for a motivated and talented PhD Student (m/f/d) in the fields of Geochemistry/Geophysics. The position will be available as soon as possible. The employment contract is limited to three years. The weekly working time will be total 50% of the regular weekly working time according to the collective agreement TVöD. The place of work is Leipzig.
The position is part of an international, interdisciplinary research group in the field of nanosafety. Main focus of the research is the mobility and impact of nanoparticles in/on soil systems. Using a highly interdisciplinary approach in the fields of microbiology and geochemistry the interactions in the system soil mineral/soil bacteria/nanoparticle are to be investigated. Innovative techniques such as, colloidal probe AFM, interferometric microscopy and the radiolabeling of nanoparticles are used in an integrative approach. The specific PhD position revolves around the Investigation of the microscopic interactions of nanoparticles with soil minerals. This encompasses the detailed analysis of mineral surface potentials under different environmental conditions and the alterations of these potential through microbial influences.
- investigation of the interaction of nanoparticles with soil minerals
- obtaining of microscopic surface potential maps of mineral surfaces (colloidal probe AFM) under different environmental conditions and their influence on nanoparticle retention
- investigation of microbial alterations of surface potentials
- Diploma or M.Sc. in Chemistry/Geochemistry or related subjects with very good marks
- enthusiasm for highly interdisciplinary, team-oriented scientific work in an international research group at the different locations
- willingness to travel (mainly to HZDR, Dresden-Rossendorf and to the location of the JSI, Lubiljana, Slowenien)
- experience in AFM measurements appreciated
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team