For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. André Giesecke Tel.: +49 351 260 2227
Place of work:
31 May 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) "Precession water experiment"
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetohydrodynamics, invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) "Precession water experiment".
The position will be available from 1 July 2019. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Running regular experiments at the down-scaled water precession experiment for preparation of the liquid metal dynamo experiment (currently under construction at HZDR).
- Conduct of flow measurements with Ultrasonic Doppler Velocimetry and related measurements of global quantities, like pressure, power consumption and/or torques in order to characterize the behavior of the flow and to scale for the large liquid metal experiment.
- Further task will be the upgrade of the device by assembling a new container with bafflles that will be mounted on the inner side of the end caps in order to increase the forcing efficiency.
- Intensive cooperation with the project partners at Universität Bochum, where related numerical models are computed, is mandatory.
- Diploma or M.Sc in physics/mechanical engineering or related subjects with very good marks and a profound background in fluid dynamics and/or magnetohydrodynamics
- experience in the operation of experiments, preferably in the field of fluid dynamics
- willingness for close cooperation with project partners from Universität Bochum who will conduct related numerical studies (includes travel to Bochum 1-2 times a year)
- scientific approach to research questions and self-dependent working style
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team