For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Richard Gloaguen Tel.: +49 351 260 4424,
Mrs. Manuela Wagner Tel.: +49 351 260 4401
Place of work:
30 June 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Research Associate/ Postdoc (m/f/d)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Exploration, invites applications as Research Associate/Postdoc (m/f/d).
The position will be available from 1 September 2019, provided that the funds will be approved. The employment contract is limited to two years.
At the Helmholtz-Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology, the Division of Exploration aims to develop new and efficient technologies for the exploration of mineral resources. The research focusses on the use of unmanned aerial systems with various sensors, multi- and hyperspectral remote sensing, the development of machine learning algorithms for data processing, tectonic geomorphology, 3D geological modeling as well as laserinduced fluorescence and luminescence spectroscopy.
- development and test of spectral imaging technologies for the characterization and mapping of vertical geological outcrops
- acquisition, correction, processing, interpretation and integration of multi-source hyperspectral and photogrammetric data (ground-based, drone-based)
- planning and implementation of field campaigns for data acquisition and validation within the scope of the project
- development of workflows for the radiometric and geometric correction and 3D integration of the acquired data, in particular with regards to the specific challenges of short-wave infrared spectral data
- close cooperation with project partners for data evaluation and interpretation
- creation of reports and documentation
- participation in project events and conferences
- excellent Ph.D. degree in the field of remote sensing, geosciences or geoinformation
- knowledge in spectral imaging (hyperspectral or multispectral), economic geology and/or sedimentology
- computer skills in standard software, basic skills in programming (Python)
- independent working, high motivation, flexibility
- ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team in a conceptual and goal-oriented manner
- willingness to travel nationally and internationally
- driving license class B
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team