For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann Tel.: +49 351 260 2616,
Dr. Graham Appleby Tel.: +49 351 260 3290
Place of work:
30 November 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) - Machine Learning
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The HZDR, Department CASUS - Center for Advanced Systems Understanding, invites multiple applications as Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) - Machine Learning.
The positions will be available as soon as possible and will begin working at HZDR in the CASUS division. Eventually the working place will shift to Görlitz when a central CASUS building has been refurbished in the city center (during late 2019 - mid 2020). The employment contracts are limited to 31.12.2020 with an option of prolongation.
More information can be found at www.casus.science
As a CASUS Scientist, you will develop and test new machine learning algorithms to learn surrogate models for large-scale simulations and solving ill-posed reconstruction problems. These shall be applied to the understanding of Matter Under Extreme Conditions, Systems Biology, Earth Systems Research and Autonomous Vehicles. You will collaborate within CASUS and with the CASUS partner institutions to jointly develop methods and implement them in software frameworks that are applicable across a range of application domains. The partners will provide you with access to world-class experimental research data sets as well as challenging and inspiring use cases and technology drivers. CASUS Scientists take an active role in shaping and advancing the cross-disciplinary projects and are able to communicate across discipline boundaries.
- PhD in Computer Science, (Applied) Mathematics, Computer Engineering, or a closely related discipline.
- Competence in one or several of the following:
- strong publication record in Machine Learning
- excellent programming skills (tensorflow, pytorch) and strong mathematics background
- topics of interest include: Deep Generative Models, deep regression, ill-posed inverse problems, data compression, optimization
- prior work with very large datasets (TB to PB) is preferred but not required
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.