For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann Tel.: +49 351 260 2616
Place of work:
30 November 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) - Earth System Research
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
The HZDR Department CASUS - Center for Advanced Systems Understanding is a joint initiative by HZDR, MPI-CBG, TU Dresden, UFZ and the University of Wroclaw. CASUS invites multiple applications as Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) - Earth System Research.
The positions will be available as soon as possible and will begin working at HZDR in the CASUS division. Eventually the working place will shift to Görlitz when a central CASUS building has been refurbished in the city center (during late 2019 - mid 2020). The employment contracts are limited to 31.12.2020 with an option of prolongation.
More information can be found at www.casus.science
As a CASUS Scientist, you will perform fundamental research in the mathematical, algorithmic, or computational foundations of the methods for tomorrow's Earth System Research. You will collaborate within CASUS and with the CASUS partner institutions to jointly develop data and computationally intensive models with new methods in complexity reduction (e.g. with new data science methods) and enhanced predictive power. These models will be able to predict states of the entire ecosystem and feedbacks within itself and with the other Earth compartments. Especially predictions on ecosystem functioning and their productivity (e.g. biomass production and agricultural yield) under changing climate conditions will be on focus. For applications in Earth System Research, you will closely work together with the Helmholtz Center for Environmental Research - UFZ in Leipzig and the TU Dresden. This will provide you access to world-class terrestrial environmental research expertise, data sets, long term and event based monitoring stations, research data infrastructure, and high performance computing centres. As a CASUS scientist you can take an active role in shaping and advancing the cross-disciplinary projects and will be able to communicate across discipline boundaries.
- PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, or theoretical physics, combined with prior experience in terrestrial environmental research and a documented track record of contribution to the Earth Sciences
- competence in one or several of the following:
- Parallel and High-Performance computing for the Earth Sciences
- terrestrial or environmental data science
- artificial intelligence or machine learning experience
- computer simulation of terrestrial environmental systems
- numerical methods for Earth Science applications
- computational statistics or computational optimization methods
- virtual or augmented reality for terrestrial monitoring
- software engineering or programming languages for the Earth Sciences
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, full CV, list of publications, statement of research interest of relevance to science at CASUS (1-2 pages)) only via our Online-application-system.