For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Christian Richter
Mrs. Kathrin Adamek-Genschmar
Mrs. Beate Beger Tel.: +49 351 458 7432
Place of work:
31 October 2019
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) - Towards automatized online verification of proton therapy
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health, and matter.
At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to substantially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically personalized and technically optimized.
As part of the Institute, the Section of Medical Radiation Physics, invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) - Towards automatized online verification of proton therapy.
The position will be available from 1st January 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
We have pioneered proton therapy treatment verification with the worldwide first application of promptgamma imaging in clinical treatments in 2015. We are currently applying a second generation PGI system within a systematic clinical study to evaluate the clinical benefit of the approach. For its application and integration in a future fully online-adaptive proton therapy system with a closed feedback loop, the following tasks are to be addressed in the thesis:
- Develop automated treatment intervention system, automatically evaluating prompt gamma information and classifying a potential deviation concerning clinical relevance and its potential cause and ultimately deciding on the need of an intervention (e.g. immediate stop of treatment or manual inspection).
- Assess the real-time capability of the final approach.
- Quantify the margin reduction potential of such an intervention system and assess its clinical benefit.
- You have an excellent Master (or equivalent} degree in computer science, medical physics, physics-or a closely related study path.
- You are motivated to work in translational research with the ultimate aim to improve patient care.
- You have advanced programming skills in a high level programming language (Matlab, Python etc) and can demonstrate expierence in the application of machine learning techniques.
- You are a true team player and would like to work with a group of motivated interdisciplinary professionals.
- You can easily communicate in English and preferably also in German.
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.