For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Dominik Kraus Tel.: +49 351 260 3657,
Prof. Dr. Thomas Cowan Tel.: +49 351 260 2270
Place of work:
31 January 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Research Associate/Postdoc (m/f/d) - Plasma Physics at X-ray Free Electron Lasers
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
Further information can be found at http://www.hzdr.de.
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department of High Energy Density, invites applications as Research Associate/Post-Doc (m/f/d).
The position will be available from 1st April 2020. The employment contract is limited to two years.
- Design, prepare and perform complex experiments combining high-energy and ultra-high intensity lasers with X-ray free electron lasers for a most complete dynamic characterization of solid-state density plasmas, in particular warm dense matter.
- These experiments will benefit from the newly available HIBEF (Helmholtz International Beamline of Extrem Fields) infrastructure at European XFEL and will investigate specific science cases with applications in planetary physics, stellar physics, relativistic laser-matter interactions and materials science.
- PhD or equivalent degree in physics
- experience with international working environments
- strong communication skills
- good knowledge of solid-state, radiation and plasma physics
- good knowledge of optics and spectroscopy
- experience with lasers as well as X-ray and particle diagnostics
- CAD and programming skills
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.