For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Mr. Sebastian Unger Tel.: +49 351 260 3225,
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h. c. Uwe Hampel Tel.: +49 351 260 2772,
Mrs. Susann Riedel Tel.: +49 351 260 3766
Place of work:
3 January 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) or Postdoc (m/f/d)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Experimental Thermal Fluid Dynamics, invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) or as Postdoc (m/f/d) in the frame of a third-party funded project.
The position will be available from 1st March 2020 until 30th September 2022.
Objective of the project is the development of novel heat exchangers for industrial waste heat recovery using supercritical CO2 cycles. For this, the applicant shall develop and apply numerical design and analysis tools and perform a generic optimization of heat exchanger performance.
- comparative analysis of existing heat exchanger concepts for supercritical CO2 cycles
- development of specific heat exchanger concepts for harvesting industrial waste heat, particularly for hot gas streams and radiative heat sources
- characterization of suitable materials, material compounds, and manufacturing technologies
- design optimization with analytical and numerical tools
- selective experimental validation
- very good graduation in mechanical engineering, process engineering, energy engineering, applied physics or a related subject
- a profound knowledge in thermal fluid dynamics, technical thermodynamics and heat and mass transfer as well as knowledge of numerical methods and experimental and measurement techniques in thermal fluid dynamics
- furthermore knowledge in material science, computer-aided design and process engineering is of advantage
- with this job offer there is a possibility of a PhD graduation
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 Vacation Days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
- flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.