For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Pedram Ghamisi Tel.: +49 351 260 4405,
Dr. Richard Gloaguen Tel.: +49 351 260 4424
Place of work:
31 January 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) in the interdisciplinary fields of earth observation, machine learning, and raw material extraction
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Exploration invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) in the interdisciplinary fields of earth observation, machine learning, and raw material extraction.
The position will be available at the earliest possible time. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- developing multi-sensor and multi-temporal data fusion approaches
- developing and tuning deep learning and machine learning approaches for a given application
- publishing results in international peer-reviewed journals and participating in international conferences
- very good Master degree in geology, remote sensing, machine learning, or related fields
- experience in supervised and unsupervised learning
- experience in time-series data analysis
- experience in multi-sensor data analysis
- very good English language skills (both written and spoken)
- ability to work in an international context and willingness to work as a team
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.