For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Sascha Heitkam Tel.: +49 351 260 3870,
Mrs. Teresa Schurz Tel.: +49 351 260 3876
Place of work:
17 March 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) - development of an ultrasound sensor for froth
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Transport processes at interfaces, invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) - Development of an ultrasound sensor for froth. The position will be available from 1st June 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- In a project, a novel ultrasound sensor for the froth phase in flotation cells will be developed. These include in particular:
- Investigating the propagation of ultrasound in froth
- recording and analyzing the backscattered echo signals from the froth. Reconstructing the the froth composition and movement using either analytical models or machine-learning
- validating the sensor on an industrial-scale flotation cell
- Along with your application documents please submit your approach and solution to this task:
- What is the speed of sound for a sound wave of 1kHz in froth (2 mm bubble size) with 10 vol.-% water and 15 vol.-% sand (0.1 mm particle size).
- very good graduation from a university in the field of physics, electrical, mechanical or process engineering
- high motivation for self-dependent research in the field of foam and acoustics
- preferably knowledge/experience in foam, ultrasound, measurement technique or machine-learning
- team-minded, high interest in cooperations on experimental, numerical or theoretical topics with local colleagues and international partners
- structured and goal-oriented organisation of work
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.