For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Karim Fahmy Tel.: +49 351 260 2952,
+49 351 260 3601
Place of work:
12 March 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of spectroscopic and AFM investigations of DNA-origami
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Biophysics, invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of spectroscopic and AFM investigations of DNA-origami. The position will be available from 1st May 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- You will work in a team with strong expertise in atomic force microscopy (AFM) and spectroscopy to study physical properties of biomolecules.
- The self-assembly of different DNA-origami will be performed to reveal the impact of structure on thermal and chemical stability using advanced Fourier transform infrared and circular dichroism spectroscopy. Ultimately, the supramolecular DNA structures will beconjugated with proteins to enable novel approaches in structural and functional studies of proteins at the single molecule level.
- very good Master degree in Physics, Biology or Chemistry
- strong motivation to pursue an independent project
- previous experience in AFM investigations or DNA-nanotechnolgy or membrane protein research is advantageous
- the language in the lab is English and corresponding written and oral communication skills are expected
- the PhD position is affiliated with the Technische Universität Dresden, Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 Vacation Days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.