For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Katerina Falk Tel.: +49 351 260 2462
Place of work:
30 June 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d)
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department of High Energy Density invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d).
The position will be available from 1st August 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- The PhD project will concentrate on the development of the x-ray diagnostics both for x-ray scattering and absorption spectroscopy for experimental plasma physics with main focus on dense plasmas for laboratory astrophysics.
- The work will involve planning and carrying out experiments at PW class laser facilities. There will be a substantial work associated with target design.
- The student (f/m/d) will be expected to design novel x-ray spectrometers and x-ray probes based on Laser Wakefield Acceleration and microstructured targets.
- The student (f/m/d) will also get an opportunity to get involved in combining the x-ray diagnostieswith laser proton acceleration for multi-beam experiments.
- The project will be primarily experimental with an option to also work on computational simulations and theory.
- very good Master's degree in Physics or a related subject (to be completed before the start of the PhD project)
- solid background in Physics, Mathematics and basic programming skills
- good laboratory skills
- very good command of English
- interest in plasma physics and lasers
- experience with lasers, optics, diagnostics or data analysis is not essential, but very welcome
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 Vacation Days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.