For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Christian Richter
Mrs. Kathrin Adamek-Genschmar
Mrs. Beate Beger Tel.: +49 351 458 7432
Place of work:
4 May 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Operative Research Group Leader (f/m/d) - High precision proton therapy
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to substantially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically personalized and technically optimized.
As part of the Institute, the Section of High Precision Radiotherapy, invites applications as Operative Research Group Leader (f/m/d) - High precision proton therapy.
The position will be available as soon as possible. The employment contract is limited to four years (duration of employment according to WissZeitVG).
The job holder (f/m/d) operatively heads the research group "High precision proton therapy" - a team of highly qualified scientists in the field of translational physics research. You will independently manage all operative tasks, supervise PhD students, coordinate academic-industry collaborations, apply for third party funding and, most importantly, shape and push the translational research forward. One important focus is the field of online-adaptive proton therapy. Thereby, you will closely interact with the Head of the Medical Physics section on strategical questions. The aim of the research group is the development and scientific evaluation of high-precision methods for proton therapy and to transfer them into clinical application as quickly as possible. The ultimate goal is the development of tomorrows proton therapy, including a verification and adaptation of treatment in real-time.
Further information on the work of the group can be found here: https://www.oncoray.de/research/high-precision-radiotherapy/
- PhD in the field of medical physics or a comparable field in applied science
- profound research experience in translational medical physics, ideally in the field of proton therapy or adaptive radiation therapy
- experience in a multidisciplinary environment, working with clinicians and clinical medical physicists
- experience in academic-industry collaborations
- experience in experiments with clinical or clinic-like proton or particle radiation sources
- in-depth knowledge of the workflow and requirements of (online-)adaptive radiation therapy
- academic work experience abroad is highly desirable
- top-level communication skills, strong language skills in English
- commitment, flexibility and leadership competence
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.