For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Markus Schubert Tel.: +49 351 260 2627
Place of work:
16 June 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Research Assistant/PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of chemical engineering/fluid separation
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Experimental Thermal Fluid Dynamics, invites applications as Research Assistant /PhD Student (m/f/d) in the field of chemical engineering/fluid separation.
The position will be available from 1st August 2020. The employment contract is limited to three years.
Aim of the project
The design and operation of integrated process units on floating platforms and large ships are challenging due to swell conditions. Objective of this project is the systematic analysis of the surface wetting and separation performance of structured packings under offshore conditions.
- development of a concept to mimic swell at offshore conditions for ships and floating platforms
- design of a process for air dehumidification including regeneration of the desiccant
- development of sensors for the analysis of characteristic flow morphologis in column packings
- comparative analysis of surface wetting and separation performance of packed columns depending on harmonic rotational and translational motions
- derivation of correlations for hydrodynamic parameters
- proposals for design variations for columns and packings with reduced maldistribution suszeptibility at offshore conditions
- very good graduation in process or chemical engineering, energy engineering, mechanical engineering, applied physics or a related subject
- a profound knowledge in fluid mechanics, heat and mass transfer, multiphase flows and technical thermodynamics as well as knowledge of experimental and measurement techniques in thermal fluid dynamics
- furthermore, knowledge in chemical and process engineering, thermal separation, precision engineering and computer-aided design is of advantage
- there is a possibility of the PhD graduation
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.