For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Anton Wallner Tel.: +49 351 260 3274
Place of work:
23 June 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in Accelerator Mass Spectrometry
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts basic and applied research for a wide range of topics, including the detection of the smallest traces of radionuclides for applications in nuclear astrophysics, in geology and in environmental science.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and Isotope Research, invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) in Accelerator Mass Spectrometry.
The position will be available as soon as possible. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- optimization of the ion-laser interaction for accelerator mass spectrometry
- operating an ion source for negative ions and testing new ion beams
- design and installation of an optomechanical structure for aligning the laser beam and optically controlling its intensity
- ion-optical simulations of the deceleration of ions under varying conditions of an ion cooler filled with buffer gas
- software for communication with the components of the ion source/ ion cooler
- understanding experimental results and write scientific report/publications as well as discussing experiments with our cooperation partner
- very good university degree (Diploma/Master) in Physics, Material Science or a closely related field
- knowledge of accelerators, ion beams, interest in interdisciplinary applications
- self-motivated and good communication skills within an international team
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.