For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Anton Wallner Tel.: +49 351 260 3274
Place of work:
24 June 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in the fields of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and Nuclear Astrophysics
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts basic and applied research for a wide range of topics, including the detection of the smallest traces of radionuclides for applications in nuclear astrophysics, in geology and in environmental science.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and Isotope Research, invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) in the fields of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and Nuclear Astrophysics.
The position will be available as soon as possible. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- search for radionuclide-signatures for isotopic fingerprints that identify near-by supernova explosions and the interstellar origin of the particles.
- extraction and detection of the long-lived radionuclides 60Fe and 244Pu
- extension of this method to other supernova candidates
- laboratory studies of stellar nucleosynthesis applying ultra-sensitive accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) measurements to address the question "what processes lead to the elemental abundances we observe on Earth today?"
- production and analysis of materials necessary for calibration of AMS measurements, e.g. of actinides for astrophysical and also environmentally relevant applications (anthropogenic fingerprints)
- understand the experimental results and write scientific report/publications
- very good university degree (Diploma/Master) in Physics, Chemistry or another closely related field
- knowledge of accelerators, ion beams, and interest in astrophysics and other interdisciplinary applications
- self-motivated and good communication skills within an international team
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 vacation days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.