For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Paul Chekhonin Tel.: +49 351 260 2149,
Dr. Frank Bergner Tel.: +49 351 260 3186,
Dr. Eberhard Altstadt Tel.: +49 351 260 2276
Place of work:
31 October 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) on the topic: Microstructural characterisation of reactor pressure vessel steels
A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) on the topic: "Microstructural characterisation of reactor pressure vessel steels"
The position will be available from 1 January 2021. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- microstructural characterisation of reactor pressure vessel steels on different length scales
- application of optical microscopy, electron microscopy (SEM, TEM) and related techniques such as EBSD, EDX and CBED
- investigation of grain structure, precipitates, dislocations and nm-scale solute atom clusters formed after neutron irradiation
- correlation between microstructure, irradiation and mechanical properties
- publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at subject-specific international conferences
- very good Masters degree in material science, physics or related fields
- experience with microstructural investigations in metallic materials
- knowledge and practical experience in the fields of scanning and transmission electron microscopy
- skills with image processing and programming
- strong passion for technical problem solving, development and improvement of new experimental techniques
- active communication with team members and highly proactive attitude
- excellent English language skills (both written and spoken)
exciting work environment on an attractive research campus
high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
30 Vacation Days per year
company pension scheme (VBL)
a good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the shape of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.