For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Axel Renno Tel.: +49 351 260 4755
Place of work:
30 September 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Research engineer (f/m/d) - Automated mineralogy
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Analytics invites applications as Research engineer (m/f/d) - Automated mineralogy.
The position will be available from 1st December 2020, provided that the funds will be approved. The employment contract is limited to two years.
- Independent technical management of SEM-based systems of automated mineralogy (MLA and TIMA).
- Independent processing and evaluation of individual series of measurements (projects) including the development of new methodical procedures.
- Collaboration in the scientific interpretation of measurement data under the supervision of responsible project scientists.
- Technical support of PhD students, young scientists and technicians.
- Active participation in the publication of scientific data.
- Completed university studies (bachelor, diploma or master's degree) in geosciences (geology, mineralogy or economic geology).
- Very good knowledge of mineralogy, ore deposits and petrology.
- Extensive experience and sound knowledge in the independent operation of scanning electron microscopes, especially of systems for automated mineralogy (e.g. MLA, TIMA or QEMSCAN).
- IT knowledge (evaluation software of automated mineralogy systems, databases, image processing software).
- Experience in data management and data processing of large data sets.
- Experience in working in research projects with partners from science, industry and public authorities.
- Experience in the technical supervision and support of doctoral students.
- Experience in preparing technical reports.
- Proven publication activity.
- Ability for interdisciplinary work in cooperation with changing international project groups.
- Structured working method, ability to work in a team and flexibility.
- Confident command of the German and English language.
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TvöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.