Place of work:
30 October 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of rechargeable battery value chain system
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Process Metallurgy invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) - in the field of rechargeable battery value chain systems.
The position will be available from 1st January 2021, provided that the funds will be approved. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Establish a detailed overview of the battery value chain system and select relevant case studies based on current and future battery technologies and systemic challenges.
- Develop detailed, validated dynamic models of key hydro- and pyrometallurgical processes.
- Create comprehensive digital twins of primary and secondary battery value chains, using process simulation software and the dynamic process models.
- Sustainability assessment (technology, environment, economy, society) of the value chain systems based on existing and new metrics and methods.
- Publish your results in academic, peer-reviewed journals.
- Present your results at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Metallurgy,
- A solid background in process metallurgy, both hydro- and pyrometallurgy is an advantage,
- Knowledge of batteries, battery materials or battery value chains is an advantage,
- Ability to combine detailed analysis with system thinking in dynamic process simulation context,
- Experience in combining technical aspects with environmental, economic and societal considerations,
- Experience in process simulation and modelling, laboratory experiments,
- Experience with data processing tools such as Matlab, R, Python, or neural nets,
- Willingness to learn about digitalization, data systems and ontologies, etc.,
- Basic knowledge of Life Cycle Analysis or other sustainability performance metrics,
- Strong motivation to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, bringing a highly proactive attitude and team spirit,
- Excellent communication skills in English in professional context, German is an benefit (possibility to participate in the German course at the HZDR or University in Freiberg is available)
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TvöD-Bund
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
For any questions, do not hesitate to ask: Mrs. Dr. Christina Meskers Tel.: +49 351 260 4425, Mrs. Tina Pereira Tel.: +49 351 260 4423
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.