For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Dominik Kraus
Place of work:
30 October 2020
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (m/f/d) in High Energy Density Physics: "Synthesis of high-performance materials"
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department of High Energy Density invites applications as PhD Student (m/f/d) in High Energy Density Physics: "Synthesis of high-performance materials".
The position will be available as soon as possible. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Investigate the formation of useful carbon allotropes (e.g. nanodiamonds or lonsdaleite) from graphite and various C-H-O compounds at conditions comparable to planetary interiors and meteor impacts
- Investigate the release process from dynamic high-pressure and high-temperature environments to ambient conditions for the synthesis of high-performance materials
- Contribute to experiments at large-scale international user facilities all over the world such as European XFEL, Linac Coherent Light Source, European Synchrotron Radiation Facilitiy, SPring-8 Angstrom Compact free electron LAser, etc.
- Very good university degree (Diploma/Master) in Physics, Chemistry or another closely related field
- Good knowledge of atomic and nanoscale condensed matter physics
- Good knowledge in optics and spectroscopy
- Practical experience with lasers and/or microscopy techniques
- CAD and programming skills
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 vacation days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.