For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Johannes Raff Tel.: +49 351 260 2951,
Dr. Evelyn Krawczyk-Bärsch Tel.: +49 351 260 2076
Place of work:
31 January 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d)
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d)
The position will be available from 1st April 2021. The employment contract is limited to 3 years.
The position is supported by the European joint project RADONORM, (www.radonorm.eu) dealing with the effect of microorganisms on the mobility of natural radionuclides (uranium, radium) in uranium mine waters. Part of the PhD work will be conducted at the Department of Microbiology, University of Granada, Spain (www.ugr.es) under the supervision of Prof. Merroun Mohamed.
- Determination of the microbial diversity and activity in water samples (meta-genome and meta-transcriptome analysis)
- Geochemical characterization of water samples
- Bioreactor/microcosm experiments for uranium removal through microbial reduction
- Biochemical, microscopic and spectroscopic charcterization of uranium-microbe interactions
- Publication of results in high impact scientific journals and their presentations at project meetings, conferences and workshops
- Preparation of a PhD thesis
- Knowledge and practical experience on molecular methods for determination of microbial diversity and the isolation of microbes
- Very good university degree (Diploma/Master) in the field of Biology/Biotechnology/Microbiology or Environmental Sciences
- Experience in the use of analytical, spectroscopic and microscopic methods is desirable
- Interest in applied research and interdisciplinary cooperation in the context of remediation of contaminted sites
- Personal commitment, ability to work in a team, good experimental skills
- The willingness to handle radioactive samples is required
- Very good English language skills
- Willingness to travel for an extended stay at foreign institutions (e.g., University of Granada, Spain)
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.