For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Olav Hellwig Tel.: +49 351 260 2461,
Dr. Kilian Lenz Tel.: +49 351 260 2435
Place of work:
31 January 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in Magnetic Multilayered Devices
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts materials research for future applications, e. g., in information technology and for energy conversion. To this end we exploit the various state-of-the-art facilities at our disposal, including the Ion Beam Center (IBC), for synthesis, modification, and analysis of thin films and nanostructures.
The department of Magnetism invites applications for a PhD Student (f/m/d) to investigate the magneto-dynamic properties (via Ferromagnetic Resonance) of magnetic multilayer thin film systems containing magnetic 3d metals and high spin-orbit coupling metals of the 4d and 5d series.
The position will be available from 1st April 2021. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Design & preparation of multilayered structures using thin films deposition tools
- Structural and magnetic characterization
- Magnetodynamic characterization by ferromagnetic resonance (FMR)
- Simulations of the observed magnetic properties
- Publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed journals
- Preparation of a dissertation
Excellent Diploma or Master's degree in Physics, Materials Science or a related area
Scientific curiosity, hands-on approach and drive to pursue fundamental research questions
Systematic approach to experimental work
Good written and spoken English skills
- Willingness to travel to other research locations, such as synchrotron sources and international conferences
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.