For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Rantej Bali Tel.: +49 351 260 2461
Place of work:
31 March 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in Materials Physics
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research conducts materials research for future applications, e. g., in information technology and for energy conversion.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetism invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) in Materials Physics.
The position will be available from 1st June 2021. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- This DFG funded project aims at investigating the transport and magnetic properties of ion-irradiated ceramic nano-laminates, known as MAX phases.
- The successful applicant (m/f/d) will employ state-of-the art instruments for irradiating and doping MAX phase thin films
- Investigate the transport and magnetic properties using advanced measurement methods available at the HZDR, TU Dresden as well as at synchrotron sources
- Apply simulations to understand observed phenomena
- Excellent Diploma or Master's degree in Physics, Materials Science or a related area
- Willingness to work in close collaboration, up to 40 % of the time with project partners at the TU Dresden
- Good written and spoken English skills
- Commitment and discipline to write a doctoral thesis
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.