For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Gregory Lecrivain Tel.: +49 351 260 3768,
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h. c. Uwe Hampel Tel.: +49 351 260 2772
Place of work:
1 May 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d)
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Fluid Dynamics invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d)
The position will be available from June 1 st, 2021. The employment contract is limited to three years.
The transport aerosol particles follow by their capture by a gas-liquid fluidic interface is central to a number of industrial applications and is also observed in nature. Examples include industrial wet scrubbers and removal of atmospheric pollutants by rainfalls. Such processes are to be investigated experimentally and numerically within the frame of research project.
Realization of test facilities to experimentally study the transport and capture of microparticles from air to liquid
Detection of the gas-liquid interface with optical and x-ray tomography systems
Experimental measurement of the particle capture rate as a function of the aerosol diameter
CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)- simulation of the particle capture process
Formulation of empirical correlations for the capture rate
Completed Master's degree, or equivalent degree course in mechanical engineering, process engineering, or physics
- Advanced knowledge in the areas of fluid mechanics and experimentation techniques
- Practical experience in designing test facilities and conduct scientific experiments
- Previous experience in CFD simulations and/or aerosol measuring techniques is advantageous but not mandatory.
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.