For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Mrs. Tina Pereira Tel.: +49 351 260 4423,
Mr. Alejandro Abadias Llamas Tel.: +49 351 260 4418,
Mrs. Manuela Wagner Tel.: +49 351 260 4401
Place of work:
31 March 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of green battery recycling simulation
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) in the field of green battery recycling simulation
The position will be available from April, 2021 . The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Establish a detailed, physically-based data basis and use it for the evaluation and optimization of prozess chains for Li-ion battery recycling
- Develop detailed, validated dynamic submodels of key metallurgical processes and validate them with experimental data
- Support the coupling of different submodels and create a generic system simulation model for evaluating different recycling routes
- Sustainability assessment (identify, evaluate and define design-for-recycling indicators, elaborate process and sustainability-based design recommendations for Li-on batterie
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Metallurgy
- A solid background in process metallurgy, both hydro- and pyrometallurgy is an advantage
- Knowledge of bateries, battery materials or battery value chains is an advantage
- Ability to combine detailed analysis with system thinking in dynamic process simulation context
- Experience in combining technical aspects with enviromental, economic and societal considerations
- Experience in process simulation and modelling, laboratery experiments, and their connection
- Experience with data processing and simulation tools such as Matlab, R, Python, or HSC Chemistry
- Willigness to learn about digitalization, data systems and ontologies, etc.
- Basic knowledge of Life Cycle Analysis or other sustainability performance metrics
- Strong motivation to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, bringing a high proactive attitude and team spirit
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.