For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
PD Dr. Toma Toncian Tel.: +49 40 8998 6869,
+49 175 7025 103,
Mrs. Anne Varga Tel.: +49 351 260 3293
Place of work:
Schenefeld (bei Hamburg)
25 April 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Laser engineer (f/m/d)
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions. In order to investigate fundamental physical phenomena, state-of-the-art radiation sources are used. Therefore, the establishment of novel accelerators and the further development and improvement of existing machines is an essential goal of the institute. High-power lasers allow the investigation of the interactions of light and matter.
The objective of the Helmholtz International Beamline for Extreme Fields (HiBEF) user consortium is to contribute and operate different experimental setups at the High Energy Density (HED) beamline of the European XFEL (with worldwide unique ultrashort and extremely bright X-ray flashes). It is organized as an international user consortium to ensure scientific and technical excellence of the provided equipment which will serve the whole scientific community. The field of interest, high energy density science, includes plasma physics, planetary science, high pressure and strong field physics, magnetism and correlated electron systems as well as material dynamics.
As part of the Institute, the Department of HiBEF invites applications as
Laser engineer (f/m/d)
The position will be available from July 01, 2021. The employment contract is limited to two years. This position will be sited at the European XFEL in Schenefeld (Hamburg).
The successful candidate will be involved in the maintenance and operation of the HiBEF ReLaX 300 TW Ti:Sapphire and DIPOLE100-X laser systems. This includes:
- beam transport installation
- opto-mechanical and electro-optic engineering
- controls and interfacing
- vendor communication and laboratory preparation
- laser installation and commissioning
- diagnostics development
- routine maintenance and operations for XFEL-user experiments with highest reliability
- B.Sc. and M.Sc. or equivalent in optical or laser physics or engineering
- experienced in the areas of laser optical design and construction as well as laser pulse diagnostics
- good communication skills
- ability to work in a collaborative team
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.