For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
PD Dr. Cornelius Fischer Tel.: +49 351 260 4660
Place of work:
28 June 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Research Assistant / PhD student (f/m/d) for the Reactive Transport Department in Leipzig
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Reactive Transport in Leipzig invites applications as
Research Assistant / PhD student (f/m/d)
The position will be available from August 15, 2021. The employment contract is limited to 3 years.
- Numerical analysis of transport processes of radionuclides in fractured rocks using tomography datasets
- Parameter analysis including flow velocity field, effective volume, surface reactivity etc. for transport model parametrization as well as spatially-resolved geochemical and mineralogical data, provided by collaboration partners
- Reactive transport model simulations with a focus on fractured rocks and sorption reactions
- ldentification of theoretical implications for the analysis of preferential flow zones based on break-through-curves and the evolution of tracer propagation patterns as well as and on crystal surface reactivity in fractured host rocks suitable for nuclear waste management
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
- Talented and enthusiastic candidate (f/m/d), with MSc. degree in Earth/ Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, Physics or similar background
- Desirable skills include experience in the analysis of porous/ fractured material, reactive transport modeling, visualization and image analysis of time-dependent and static 3D-data (e.g. Avizo, Paraview) and data processing (e.g., Python, R, C++)
- Teamwork and communication skills are essential
- Excellent English communication and writing skills
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Collaboration in an international joint research project
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.