For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Kristin Stützer Tel.: +49 351 458 4123,
Prof. Dr. Christian Richter
Mrs. Kathrin Adamek-Genschmar
Place of work:
2 August 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD student (f/m/d) lmaging for online adaptive proton therapy at OncoRay
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to crucially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically-personalized and technically-optimized.
As part of the Institute, the Department of High Precision Proton Therapy invites applications as
PhD student (f/m/d) - lmaging for online adaptive proton therapy at OncoRay
The position will be available from 01.10.2021. The employment contract is limited to 3 years.
Your PhD project is part of our long-term strategic aim to establish the next generation proton therapy by translating an online adaptation concept into clinical reality and combining modern in-room imaging and innovative treatment verification with fast and quality-assured treatment adaptation. The application of machine learning algorithms is a fundamental pillar for the required fast data processing and decision supports.
Your tasks are related to:
- Patient imaging in treatment position with focus on cone-beam CT
- The subsequent derivative of adaptation demands from anatomical characteristics and the dosimetric features of an anticipated proton dose distribution
- Utilization of cone-beam CT for prompt-gamma-imaging based treatment verification
You will present your results on international conferences and in peer-reviewed publications and have the opportunity to supervise Bachelor and Master students.
- Successfully completed studies in the field of medical physics or a comparable applied/natural science
- Sound knowledge about volumetric medical imaging, preferably in in-room imaging in radiation therapy
- Experience in machine learning applications is recommended, ideally in the field of medical imaging
- Excellent programming skills in a high level programming language (Matlab, Python etc.)
- lnterest in working as a team player in a group of motivated interdisciplinary professionals
- Structured and solution-oriented working methods, analytical thinking and above-average commitment
- Good communication skills in English and preferably also in German
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.