For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
PD Dr. Cornelius Fischer Tel.: +49 351 260 4660,
PD Dr. Agnieszka Beata Kuc Tel.: +49 351 260 4664,
Prof. Dr. Thomas Heine Tel.: +49 351 260 4600
Place of work:
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
3 PhD Students (f/m/d) for the Reactive Transport Department in Leipzig
As member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Reactive Transport in Leipzig in cooperation with the graduate college "Hydrogen isotopes: 1,2,3H" at the University of Leipzig invites applications subject to project approval as
PhD Students (f/m/d) for the Reactive Transport Department in Leipzig
The 3 positions will be available from 01.10.2021. The employment contracts are limited to 3 years. Please note that the job postings will continue until all three positions are filled.
- Quantum-mechanical simulations of hydrogen isotope separation and transport on 2D layered materials
- Density functional theory and nuclear quantum effects (tunneling and zero point energy) simulations
- Optimization and molecular dynamics simulations
- Numerical model calculations and first-principles simulations of hydrogen isotope separation on
- Experimental and analytical quantification of hydrogen isotope separation efficiencies of
newly-synthesized 2D membrane materials
- Test of theoretical predictions
- Highly qualified and motivated graduates, who will contribute to the diverse 1,2,3H research community and are interested in working in an interdisciplinary, multinational research environment
- Master's degree or equivalent in chemistry, physics, materials science or in related areas either with a strong experimental/preparative or theoretical chemistry or physics background with excellent grades
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Identification with the RTG's core values, namely excellence in research and qualification as well scientific integrity
We are looking for applicants in two research areas: experiment or theory.
Thus, candidates should have knowledge in quantum-mechanical simulations, molecular and solid state (theory) or experience in experimental and analytical work with gas phases and membranes.
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
possibility to work part-time
flexible working hours
in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application with details of the respective position (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.