For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Gregory Lecrivain Tel.: +49 351 260 3768,
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h. c. Uwe Hampel Tel.: +49 351 260 2772
Place of work:
15 November 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD (f/m/d) Project CORAERO
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The institute is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Experimental Thermal Fluid Dynamics invites applications as PhD (f/m/d) Project CORAERO. The position will be available from 15 January 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
As part of the CORAERO joint project (Airborne Transmission of SARS Coronavirus - From Fundamental Science to Efficient Air Cleaning Systems) funded by the Helmholtz Association, we are working on scientific issues relating to the formation of virus-laden aerosols, their thermodynamics and propagation in rooms, as well as strategies and technologies to prevent aerosol-borne infections. For this purpose, we are looking for a PhD student (f/m/d) working on "Experimental and numerical analysis of the dispersion and filtering of virus-containing aerosols in rooms" with the following subtasks:
Development of efficient CFD-based computational tools for the simulation of aerosol dispersion scenarios in rooms and the evaluation of virus-reducing measures, such as air filtration and virus inactivation by UV radiation and heat
Accompanying experimental studies on aerosol dispersion in rooms
Experimental and numerical analyses of novel air purification concepts
- Excellent Master's degree in Process Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or related disciplines
- Very good knowledge in experimental and numerical fluid mechanics as well as aptitude
- Practical experience in setting up, conducting and evaluating of flow experiments
- Independent working style, demanding high quality of your own work and interest in pursuing a doctoral degree
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.