For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
PD Dr. Cornelius Fischer Tel.: +49 351 260 4660
Place of work:
28 October 2021
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD (f/m/d) Analysis of reactive transport processes in sediments and soils
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Reactive Transport invites applications as PhD (f/m/d) Analysis of reactive transport processes in sediments and soils. The position will be available from 1 December 2021. The employment contract is limited to three years.
Set-up of reactive flow experiments in flow cells with sediments and soils
Analysis of porous materials and fluid transport, using tomographic methods (X-ray tomography (µCT) and positron emission tomography (PET)
Testing of newly-developed reactive tracers to be used for migration experiments
Analysis and interpretation of tomography data sets, data extraction for subsequent use in reactive transport models
Publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
- Master's degree in Earth/ Environmental Sciences, Material Science, Chemistry, or similar background
- Desirable skills include basic knowledge in sedimentary petrography, in the analysis of porous materials including visualization and image analysis of tomographic data and data processing (e.g., Python, R, C++)
- Excellent communication and team working skills in an interdisciplinary environment
- Very good English language skills (verbal and written)
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.