For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Josefine Metzkes-Ng Tel.: +49 351 260 2158,
Dr. Florian Kroll Tel.: +49 351 260 2745
Place of work:
31 January 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD (f/m/d) Laser-driven ion sources
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Laser Particle Acceleration invites applications as PhD (f/m/d) Laser-driven ion sources.
The position will be available from 1 March 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
We prepare laser-driven ion accelerators for preclinical radiobiological research in the emerging field of ultra-high dose rate/FLASH radiobiology by connecting advanced accelerator research on laser-driven sources with the development of dedicated beam monitoring, dosimetry and irradiation devices.
The successful candidate (f/m/d) will get the chance to:
- Optimize laser-driven ion sources for the generation of ultra-high dose (rate) proton pulses
- Develop and apply detectors for primary source characterization
- Develop dosimetry approaches for ultra-high dose rate proton irradiations
- Perform experiments with radiobiologists at the broad accelerator infrastructure available at HZDR/Oncoray
Very good Master´s degree in Physics or a closely related discipline
Interest to work in an interdisciplinary team of physicists, medical physicists and radiobiologists
Very good experimental skills, particuarly an interest in experimental setup design and conduction of complex experiments in a team setting
Excellent English communication skills
Knowledge in laser, plasma, accelerator, detector or medical physics is a plus
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.