For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Mrs. Kathrin Adamek-Genschmar
Mrs. Beate Beger Tel.: +49 351 458 7432,
Dr. Kristin Stützer Tel.: +49 351 458 4123,
Prof. Dr. Christian Richter
Dr. Fabian Hennings
Place of work:
28 February 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD Student (f/m/d) Automated QA for online adaptive proton therapy
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists (f/m/d) specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to crucially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically-personalized and technically-optimized.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Medical Radiation Physics invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) - Automated QA for online adaptive proton therapy.
The position will be available from 1 April 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Our long-term strategy is to translate online adaptive proton therapy into clinical reality by combining modern in-room imaging and innovative treatment verification with fast and quality-assured adaptation. Within this context, your project goal is to develop an automated multi-aspect quality assurance (QA) chain for the final approval of the adapted therapy. The different aspects may include the approval for:
- The reconstruction and registration of in-room images
- The properties of automatically generated contours
- The descriptive features and dosimetric quality of adapted treatment plans
- You will present your results on time and workflow efficient online QA, which potentially includes AI-assisted methods, at international conferences and in peer-reviewed high-ranking publications
- You will also have the opportunity to supervise research projects of Bachelor and Master students
- Very succsessfully completed studies in the field of Medical Physics, Applied Computer Sciences, Physics or a comparable applied/natural/engineering science
- Excellent programming skills in a high level programming language (Matlab, Python etc.)
- Experience in machine learning, preferably for medical physics applications
- Sound knowledge about radiotherapy, preferably in proton therapy and medical imaging
- Excited about working as a team player in a group of motivated interdisciplinary professionals
- Structured and solution-oriented working style, analytical thinking and above-average commitment
- Very good communication skills in English and preferably also in German
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.