For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann Tel.: +49 3581 37523 11,
+49 351 260 2616,
Dr. Justin Calabrese Tel.: +49 3581 37523 71,
Dr. Weronika Schlechte-Welnicz Tel.: +49 3581 37523 72,
Mrs. Weronika Mazur Tel.: +49 3581 37523 23,
+49 171 3635554
Place of work:
31 January 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Young Investigator Group Leader (f/m/d) - Earth Systems Science
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
The Earth System Science department invites applications as Young Investigator Group Leader (f/m/d) - Earth Systems Science.
The position will be available from 1 April 2022. The employment contract is limited to five years.
As a Young Investigator Group Leader (f/m/d), you will shape and explore innovative research at the interface of Earth system science and systems biology with a focus on identifying mechanisms underpinning spatial pattern formation. Possible topics include pattern formation in arid/semi-arid ecosystems and in microorganism aggregations. Your research group will collaborate closely with the other departments of CASUS and the CASUS partner institutions to jointly develop data and computationally intensive models and simulations. The Young Investigator Group Leader (f/m/d) with the primary responsibility to lead research projects within the group that are compatible with the overall CASUS strategy. CASUS research is entirely computational, and CASUS has no wet labs for experimental work. Therefore, strong collaborations with empirically or experimentally focused groups will be essential.Primary job responsibilities are:
- Building and leading your research group
- Identify aims and vision for the group, purpose, and direction
- Create the plan to achieve the identified goals - deliverables, measures, timescales, strategy, and tactics
- Establish responsibilities, objectives, accountabilities, and measures, by agreement and delegation
- Review, re-assess, and adjust plans, methods, and targets as necessary
- Representing CASUS to the outside world, presenting data and results to the scientific community and the general public
- Facilitating collaboration between the Earth system science and systems biology research teams as well as: 1) other CASUS research teams, 2) CASUS partner institutions, and 3) external partners both in Germany and abroad
- PhD degree in a sientific field
- Experience is supervising graduate students (f/m/d)
- Experience mathematical modeling, computer simulation, machine learning, and statistics
- Proven ability to establish collaborations with empirically or experimentally focused groups in the environmental and biological sciences
- Demonstrated ability to work across disciplinary boundaries and to contribute to progress in Earth system science or systems biology
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills and demonstrated ability to work in interdisciplinary team settings
- Internationally visible publication record
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to five years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 days of paid holiday leave
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
Possibility to work part-time
Flexible working hours
In-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.