For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Jens Gutzmer Tel.: +49 351 260 4400
Place of work:
30 June 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Head of the Process Metallurgy Department (f/m/d)
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Process Metallurgy invites applications as Head of the Process Metallurgy Department (f/m/d).
The position will be available from 1 September 2022. The employment contract is limited to two years.
- Scientific, organizational and personnel management of the Process Metallurgy Department at the HIF
- Definition of new research questions with relevance for the HZDR as well as the Helmholtz community to increase resource and energy efficiency in the processing of mineral and metalliferous raw materials
- Research and development of innovative processes in the field of extractive metallurgy (pyro- and hydrometallurgy)
- Responsibility for the commissioning and operation of equipment in the new metallurgical pilot plant
- Building and maintenance of an international network of contacts to research and industrial partners, especially in the field of process metallurgy
- lnterdisciplinary cooperation with the other departments and institutes of the HDZR, with universities as well as other research institutions
Acquisition of third-party funded projects
Supervision of students (f/m/d) in BSc and MSc theses as well as (co-)supervision of PhD students (f/m/d)
- PhD degree in the field of Metallurgy, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Process Engineering as well as comparable fields
- Intensive expertise in the fields of pyro- and hydrometallurgy
- Post-doctoral experience in applied research in an academic or relevant industrial environment
- Experience in operating metallurgical plants on a semi-technical scale is an advantage
- Proven interest in digitalization and automation in process technology is desirable
- Basic knowledge of processing technology and biotechnological processes is desirable
- Analytical, solution-focused and strategic thinking and enthusiasm for innovative solutions in the field of mineral/metalliferous raw materials and other materials
- Regular publication activity in internationally peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Multicultural experience, evidenced by activities in an international environment
- English proficiency fluent in communication and in writing, at least basic German language proficiency is an advantage
Responsible and varied field of activity, which you can help to shape through your personal commitment
Interdisciplinary research in a competent, international and innovative team with an open-minded and friendly work environment at a Helmholtz Center
Interesting opportunities for further training as part of our personnel development program
Relevant infrastructure at a laboratory and pilot plant scale, including a newly built, modernly equipped pilot plant with approx. 1.000 m² floor space
- High level of scientific networking and scientific excellence
- The employment contract is limited to two years with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.