For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Dominik Kraus Tel.: +49 381 498 6930,
Prof. Dr. Thomas Cowan Tel.: +49 160 5890880,
+49 351 260 2270
Place of work:
14 July 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Postdoc (f/m/d) Plasma Physics at X-ray Free Electron Lasers
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.400 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Institute of Radiation Physics conducts research for states of matter under extreme conditions and in very small dimensions.
As part of the Institute, the Department High Energy Density invites applications as Postdoc (f/m/d) Plasma Physics at X-ray Free Electron Lasers.
The position will be available from 1 September 2022. The employment contract is limited to two years. The successful candidate (f/m/d) will spend part of the duration at HZDR Dresden-Rossendorf and the other part at the High Energy Density Physics group by Prof. Dr. Dominik Kraus at University of Rostock.
- Design, preparation and performing complex experiments combining high-energy and ultra-high intensity Iasers with X-ray free electron Iasers for a most complete dynamic characterization of solid-state density plasmas, in particular warm dense matter
- Experiments will benefit from the newly available HIBEF (Link) infrastructure at European XFEL and will investigate specific science cases with applications in planetary physics, stellar physics, relativistic laser-matter interactions and materials science
Analyze experimental data and communicate the results in work in progress reports, international conferences and publications in refereed journals
Presentation of research results at scientific meetings
Actively collaborating with industry, academia, government labs, and applications developers in a variety of venues
- PhD or equivalent degree in Physics
- Good knowledge of solid-state, radiation and plasma physics
- Good knowledge of optics and spectroscopy
- Experience with Iasers as well as X-ray and particle diagnostics
- CAD and programming skills
- Experience with international working environments
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- Join the High Energy Density division at the Institute of Radiation Physics in cooperation with the High Energy Density Physics group by Prof. Dr. Dominik Kraus at University of Rostock
- The employment contract is limited to two years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.