For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann Tel.: +49 3581 37523 11,
Mr. Philipp von Haymerle Tel.: +49 3581 37523 21,
+49 171 3650878
Place of work:
29 July 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Postdoc (f/m/d) AI-driven decision for treatment intervention in online-adaptive proton therapy
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.400 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
CASUS invites applications as Postdoc (f/m/d) AI-driven decision for treatment intervention in online-adaptive proton therapy. The research work is carried out in close cooperation with the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay. At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists (f/m/d) specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to crucially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically-personalized and technically-optimized.
The position will be available from 1 September 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
Online-adaptive proton therapy will be enabled by an AI-driven, automated feedback loop of imaging, prompt gamma imaging (PGI)-based treatment verification and fast adaptation. The successful candidate (f/m/d) will work on a decision support for treatment intervention based on the complex PGI data or detected clinically relevant anatomy changes:
- Generation of novel models for detecting adaptation needs based on patient imaging and on PGI data
- Automate decision recommendations based on clinically relevant features
- Development of interactive visualization tools for online and retrospective check and documentation
- Integration of evolved tool chain into an online workflow
- Publication of research results (in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences)
- Good PhD degree in Data Science or a related subject and preferable having a Medical Physics background in particle therapy
- Excellent programming skills in languages such as Python and Matlab
- Proficient use of modern deep learning frameworks
- Experience in code parallelization and interactive data visualization is desired
- High motivation to work in a collaborative environment between clinic and IT also at different locations
- Excellent communication skills in English in a scientific, multi-professional context
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.