For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Mrs. Beate Beger Tel.: +49 351 458 7432
Place of work:
31 August 2022
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD student (f/m/d) on the topic Interpretable Biomarker-AI-based prediction of tumor radiosensitivity for future personalized cancer treatment
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.400 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
At the Institute of Radiooncology – OncoRay scientists (f/m/d) specializing in medicine, physics, biology and IT work together to crucially improve the treatment of cancer by administering radiation therapy that is biologically-personalized and technically-optimized.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Translational Radiooncology invites applications as PhD student (f/m/d) on the topic Interpretable Biomarker-AI-based prediction of tumor radiosensitivity for future personalized cancer treatment.
The position will be available from 1 November 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
Scope of the project:
The position is embedded in a cooperation project within the NCRO (National Center for Radiooncology), including research groups in Heidelberg and Dresden. The aim is to identify biomarkers by integrating image-based (OncoRay) and molecular (DKFZ) data using advanced methods of artificial intelligence.
- Development and validation of machine learning and interpretable deep learning algorithms for extraction of prognostic and predictive features from microscopy imaging
- Integration of image-based features with -omics data
- Management of big image datasets
- Master degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, lnformatics, Bioinformatics, Medical physics (or related fields)
- Strong programming skills, basic knowledge of (bio-)image analysis and machine learning/deep learning is required
- Basic knowledge of cell and/or tumour biology and microscopy techniques is a plus
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- lnterest in translational biological research, (radiation) oncology, big data management
- Good communication skills and the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary research team with affinity to find technical solutions
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A structured PhD program with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities - more information about the PhD program at the HZDR can be found here
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.