For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Gerrit Maik Horstmann Tel.: +49 351 260 3117,
Dr. Tom Weier Tel.: +49 351 260 2226
Place of work:
30 January 2023
At HZDR, we promote and value diversity among our employees. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds regardless of gender, ethnic and social origin, belief, disability, age, and sexual orientation. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD student (f/m/d) for the experimental investigation of magnetic field-induced interfacial wave instabilities
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetohydrodynamics invites applications as PhD student (f/m/d) for the experimental investigation of magnetic field-induced interfacial wave instabilities.
The position will be available from 1 February 2023. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Setting up and operating a liquid metal experiment dedicated to modeling system-critical magnetic field-induced interfacial instabilities in electrolysis cells and liquid metal batteries
- Calibration of acoustic distance probes for the determination of surface wave motions in the liquid metal and validation of the measuring technique
- Implementation of feedback loops between the detected surface motions and the supplied cell currents necessary for the synthetization of wave instabilities
- Measurement and evaluation of the resulting wave dynamics, in particular acquisition of characteristic resonance frequencies, growth and damping rates and saturation amplitudes
- Identification and characterization of stabilization potentials in industrial-scale electrolysis processes and the respective possible savings in costs and emissions building on the obtained results
- Excellent master's degree in the field of Physics, Mechanical, Electrical or Process Engineering or a related discipline
- High motivation for self-dependent research in the fields of Magnetohydrodynamics and surface wave physics
- Sound knowledge in at least one of the disciplines Fluid Mechanics/Electrodynamics/Wave Physics or practical experience with acoustic measurement techniques is required
- Proficiency in experimentation and background in signal processing and/or control engineering is desirable
- Experience with data processing tools such as Python or Matlab is a plus
- A strong sense of teamwork, enthusiasm for working within an international environment in a well-structured and focused manner
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A structured PhD program with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities - more information about the PhD program at the HZDR can be found here
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.