For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Richard Gloaguen Tel.: +49 351 260 4424,
Dr. Samuel Thomas Thiele Tel.: +49 351 260 4431
Place of work:
15 December 2022
At HZDR, we promote and value diversity among our employees. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds regardless of gender, ethnic and social origin, belief, disability, age, and sexual orientation. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PostDoc (f/m/d) hyperspectral geological mapping: from UAV to satellite scale
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. CASUS was founded in 2019 in Görlitz and conducts digital interdisciplinary systems research in various fields such as earth systems research, systems biology and materials research.
CASUS together with the Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology invites applications as PostDoc (f/m/d) hyperspectral geological mapping: from UAV to satellite scale.
The position will be available at the earliest possible date. The employment contract is limited to three years.
The position is embedded in a project which aims to bridge scale gaps by integrating multi-scale data through multi-scale endmember extraction and unmixing, and by using generative deep learning methods to enhance the resolution of adjacent low resolution satellite or airborne data.
Within the scope of the advertised position, geological applications of UAV hyperspectral mapping and super-resolution approaches will be developed, and the resolving capability of different sensors quantified. The research work is carried out in close cooperation with the Center for Advanced System Understanding (CASUS), Görlitz, and the Helmholtz Center for Environmental Research (UFZ), Leipzig.
- Development of coregistred UAV, airborne and satellite training datasets in Germany and Spain
- Characterisation and ground-truthing of geology within these sites
- Automated geological mapping (lithology, alteration, etc.) based on these hyperspectral data at the UAV, airborne and satellite scale
- Investigate scale and sensor effects, and their impact on mapping results / uncertainties
- Benchmarking of superresolution remote sensing approaches for hyperspectral geology
- Linking the research at the hosting institutions, including repeated visits at each institute
- Open-source publication of data and processing procedures
- Publication of results in high quality journals
- PhD in remote sensing, geology, geophysics or related fields
- Experience in digital geological mapping, UAV surveying and/or hyperspectral data analysis
- Willingness to closely cooperate with other researchers in project
- Optional: Experience with machine learning and data science methods, python programming, mineralogy
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A wide range of qualification opportunities and individual career counseling provided by the Postdoc Center HZDR-TUD
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.