For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Sven Eckert Tel.: +49 351 260 2132,
+49 351 260 3563,
Dr. Tobias Vogt Tel.: +49 351 260 2451
Place of work:
22 December 2022
At HZDR, we promote and value diversity among our employees. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds regardless of gender, ethnic and social origin, belief, disability, age, and sexual orientation. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
Researcher / PostDoc (f/m/d) Experimental investigation of the boundary layer behavior in turbulent liquid metal convection
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The institute of Fluid Dynamics is conducting basic and applied research in the fields of thermo-fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics in order to improve the sustainability, the energy efficiency and the safety of industrial processes.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Magnetohydrodynamics invites applications as Researcher / PostDoc (f/m/d) Experimental investigation of the boundary layer behavior in turbulent liquid metal convection.
The position will be available from 1 April 2023. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Design and construction of a cylindrical Rayleigh-Bénard convection cell
- Installation of measuring techniques (temperature sensors, inductive flow tomography)
- Cooperation with project partners to use an innovative ultrasonic measurement system to determine the velocity profiles in the boundary layers
- Measurements of the global transport laws for heat and momentum
- Measurements of the three-dimensional structure and dynamics of the Large Scale Circulation (LSC)
- Publication of results
- Master`s degree or PhD degree in Physics, mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics or equivalent
- Comprehensive technical skills and physical understanding, Experiences in the field of measuring techniques for fluid flows and in the handling of liquid metals are an advantage
- Independent, structured and solution-oriented way of working
- Motivation to work in a multidisciplinary and international work environment
- Excellent Englisch skills
- Proven publication activity are desirable
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A wide range of qualification opportunities and individual career counseling provided by the Postdoc Center HZDR-TUD
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.