For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Prof. Dr. Vinzenz Brendler Tel.: +49 351 260 2430,
+49 171 1156276,
PD Dr. habil. Moritz Schmidt Tel.: +49 351 260 3156,
+49 351 260 2536,
+49 175 5868831
Place of work:
11 April 2023
English / German
Job-Id: 2023/59 (1643)
At HZDR, we promote and value diversity among our employees. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds regardless of gender, ethnic and social origin, belief, disability, age, and sexual orientation. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
PhD student (f/m/d) Geochemistry of Actinides
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.500 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Institute of Resource Ecology performs research to protect humans and the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical processes that produce energy and raw materials.
The Department of Thermodynamics of Actinides is looking for a PhD student (f/m/d) Geochemistry of Actinides. The position will be available from 1 May 2023. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Investigation of the effect of surface precipitates on the retention of actinides and fission products by repository-relevant mineral phases
- Characterization of changes in sorption behavior and its reversibility at the molecular level
- Conducting batch sorption studies
- Investigations with modern analytical methods such as surface X-ray diffraction or luminescence spectroscopy
- Microscopic studies using electron and atomic force microscopy
- Master´s degree in Chemistry, Geochemistry or a related field
- Knowledge in the field of aqueous chemistry of metal ions, especially actinides
- Experience in dealing with radionuclides, especially actinides
- Experience in the field of spectroscopic measurements for speciation determination
- Knowledge of geochemistry and mineralogy
- Knowledge in the field of X-ray diffraction and willingness to work at synchrotron radiation sources
- Good communication skills in German and English, spoken and written
- Willingness to work in controlled areas
- Ability for interdisciplinary research and collaboration
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A structured PhD program with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities - more information about the PhD program at the HZDR can be found here
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment, mobile working and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- Employee discounts with well-known providers via the platform Corporate Benefits
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.