Dresden High Magnetic Field Laboratory
Dr. Sergei Zvyagin
Phone: +49(0) 351 260-3517
Fax: +49 (0) 351 260-3531
|1992||Ph.D. in Physics (Magnetism), Institute for Low Temperature Physics, Kharkov, USSR/Ukraine|
|1984||Diploma in Physics (Quantum Radiophysics), Kharkov State University, USSR|
|12/2004 - present||Staff Scientist (permanent since July 2007)
Dresden High Magnetic Field Laboratory (HLD), Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf, Dresden, Germany
|11/2001 - 12/2004||Assistant Scholar Scientist
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, U.S.A.
|09/1999 - 10/2001||Research Associate
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, U.S.A. and Dept. of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, U.S.A.
|05/1997 - 06/1999||Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow
Institute of Physics, J.-W. Goethe University, Frankfurt on Main, Germany
|06/1992 - 12/1999||Research Assistant (Postdoctoral)
Institute for Low Temperature Physics, Kharkov, Ukraine
|08/1984 - 05/1992||Ph.D. Research Associate (Ph.D. student)
Institute for Low Temperature Physics, Kharkov, USSR
- 2007 (3 years): "Critical behavior and spin dynamics of Heisenberg antiferromagnetic chains in high magnetic fields", Deutsche Forschungsgemainschaft, ZV 6/1-1
- 2011 (3 years): "Spin dynamics and magnetism of spin systems with frustrations", Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, ZV 6/1-2
- 2016 (3 years): "Spin dynamics and magnetism of spin systems with frustrations" (prolongation), Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, ZV 6/1-3
Current Research Interests
- Quantum cooperative phenomena in low-D spin systems
- Frustrated spin systems
- Phys. phenomena in strongly-correlated electron systems
- Phys. phenomena in high magnetic fields
Research Equipment Available
- 16 T tunable-frequency ESR spectrometer: ~100 GHz - 1.3 THz (VDIs, BWOs, MVNA); 1.4 - 300 K; Voigt/Faraday geometries, AM/FM modulations.
- X-band Elexsys 500 Bruker spectrometer: 2 - 300 K; 1.8 T; goniometer.
- BWO-based 10 T frequency-domain spectrometer: 2 - 300 K, ~100 GHz - 1.3 THz split-coil magnet with optical access, Voigt/Faraday geometries. Pulsed fields:
- 64 T pulsed-field ESR spectrometer: ~100 - 600 GHz (VDIs), 1.2 - 9 THz (free electron laser, FEL). The pulsed-field spectrometer* is a user facility. To perform ESR/CR experiments in pulsed fields up to 63 T please submit your proposal for magnet time http://www.emfl.eu/user.html. If you want to use FEL please submit the second proposal* http://www.hzdr.de/db/Cms?pNid=1732
- Important: when planing your experiments please take into account that the minimal tempertaure available for pulsed-field experiments is 1.4 K (conventional radiation sources) and 5 K (FEL)
- DC fields:
Ph.D. student position available
In the frame of the DFG project "Spin dynamics and magnetism of spin systems with frustrations" the Electron Spin Resonance group has an opening for a Ph.D. student position in quantum and frustrated magnetism, beginning June 1, 2016. The position is for three years. Applicants should provide Curriculum Vita, cover letter with a statement of research interest and scientific background, and have a reference letter from her/his Diploma/Master supervisor provided separately. The application materials should be submitted in electronic (PDF) format through email, to Sergei Zvyagin. Screening of applications will start as they arrive, so early applications are encouraged.
- Alexei Ponomaryov, Postdoc
Former group members
- Mike Ozerov (Ph.D. student, postdoc)
- Dmitry Kamenskii (Ph.D. student)
- Erik Cizmar (postdoc)
- Andre Dankert (Diploma student)