Focused Ion Beams
Current research topics that are investigated using focused ion beams:
Focused ion beams (FIB) are promising tools in micro- and nanotechnology as well as in material analytics. sind ein sehr nützliches Werkzeug in der Mikro- und Nanotechnologie sowie in der Analytik. Characteristic properties are the Nanometer spot size, the energy range from some eV up to 200 keV, the high current density and a broad spectrum of ion species. In commercial FIB systems Ga liquid metal ion sources (LMIS) are usually employed, but in some rare cases also liquid metal alloy ion sources (LMAIS) are used. FIB systems allow to create structures of arbitrary shape with dimensions on the nm scale.
Three FIB Systems are operated at the ion beam center:
- a Ga-FIB in a NVision 40 CrossBeam (Carl Zeiss) for standard applications like ion beam lithography or TEM lamella preparation
- a mass-separated FIB (semi-commercial), which can provide various ion species using in-house developed ion sources, for dedicated research Topics (more...)
- a He/Ne-FIB in a ORION NanoFab (Carl Zeiss)
- L. Bischoff, R. Böttger, P. Philipp and B. Schmidt (2013), Nanostructures by mass-separated FIB, in FIB Nanostructures (Lecture Notes in Nanoscale Science and Technology, vol. 20), ed. Z. Wang, Peking, Berlin, Springer, 465-525.
- R. Böttger, K.-H. Heinig, L. Bischoff, B. Liedke and S. Facsko (2013), From holes to sponge at irradiated Ge surfaces with increasing ion energy - an effect of defect kinetics?, Appl. Phys. A (Rap. Commun.) 113, 53-59.
- R. Böttger, K.-H. Heinig, L. Bischoff, B. Liedke, R. Hübner and W. Pilz (2013), Silicon nanodot formation and self-ordering under bombardment with heavy Bi3 Ions, Phys. Stat. Solidi RRL 7, 501-505.
- R. Böttger, A. Keller, L. Bischoff and S. Facsko (2013), Mapping the local elastic properties of nanostructured germanium surfaces: from nanoporous sponges to self-organized nanodots, Nanotechnology 24, 115702.
- T. Tsvetkova, C. D. Wright, P. Hosseini, L. Bischoff and J. Zuk (2013) Thermal effects on the Ga+ focused ion beam implants, Acta Phys. Pol. A 123, 952-955.
- T. Tsvetkova, C. D. Wright, S. Kitova, L. Bischoff and J. Zuk (2013) Effects of Implantation temperature and thermal annelaing on the Ga+ ion beam induced optical contrast formation in a-SiC:H, Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res. B 307, 71-76.