The Clean Room Laboratory
The Institute of Ion Beam Physics and Materials Research provides for a Clean Room facility of in all 320 m2, including four office and measuring rooms. The aim of this facility is to supply a good research environment for the institute to produce semiconductor samples, thin layers and device test structures for the ion beam and materials research.
The Clean Room facility itself, which came into use in August 1998, is a three-level building, which directly integrated into the Ion Beam Center and is designed in the following manner:
- second floor for the air conditioning and cooling water supply,
- ground floor where the laboratory rooms are suited, and
- underground floor with the media equipment of process gases and water.
The clean room laboratory offers
- 118 m2 of class 500.000 rooms with measuring and test equipment,
- 136 m2 of class 100.000 service areas,
- 35 m2 of class 1000 operator areas and
- 35 m2 working area of class 100,
The clean room is divided into 5 sections:
- Standard wet chemical processing
- Oxidation, diffusion, annealing
- Physical thin film deposition & Reactive Ion Etching
- Nonstandard wet chemical treatment and etching
Additionally, the clean room facility consists four laboratories equipped with necessary measuring techniques for electrical and optical wafer and sample characterization as well as preparation techniques for sample or device packaging.